Friday, October 18, 2013

Another Belt Test!

It's been too long since my last post. Promises, promises ... I'll try to be better about posting more often.

We had an awesome belt test tonight at Jin Shil Martial Arts this evening. There were 30 kids who tested! My 5 year old, Andrew, tested for the first time and the girls tested to advance from blue to high blue. All did great!

I continue to set my personal record for stick-to-it-iveness, 9+ months working hard at Jin Shil. We have a great group of people in the adult class which ranges in age from 12 to  ... well, if you know how old I am then that's the top of the chart. I didn't botch anything too badly, though I got confused during my form and we had a do-over. It was funny, I'm currently the only orange belt, so I'm usually doing my form alone. During the test nearly all of us did it and it threw me for a loop, but I was much better on the do-over.

We sparred, always interesting. Dr. Shirley and I went at it first and that was fun. Then I sparred Kim, he's really very, very good, but I've been better at protecting myself lately, which is good, because I have to do a lot of that sparring Kim. I did manage to make contact ... with his eye and his contact lens popped out! Me being a recovering Catholic I felt terrible and I apologized, Kim being a pro was totally cool and appreciated the solid hit. See, it's a fun group!

The photo is me breaking a board using a side kick which is a little up the ladder in terms of difficulty versus the ax kick I used last time.

I have some other wacky stories that I'll whip up. Most involve me falling over, nearly dropping dead, or sparring Kim.

Have a great week end!

No comments:

Post a Comment