Sunday, April 14, 2013

1 Down, 13 to Go.

Wow! So I completed my first belt test. The process was pretty intense, but I felt ready. I really ramped up my own intensity level to match the moment and that felt really good too. Great news, I didn't fall down or crack up laughing at an inappropriate time... makes for a less exciting blog. Sorry.

Overall the belt test was not intimidating. We were all prepared, encouraged each other and it mostly felt like an amped up class ... with an audience. Usually some of our kids are playing or doing homework during the teen/adult class but for the belt test there were folks watching us. However as I mentioned in a previous post, I zoned into my own world and didn't even notice them most of the time.

The white belt form, Chun-Ji, is typically led by the instructor, however Travis let us go on our own and we did really well.

The big news is we got to break some boards after the test. Both Juliana and I smashed through a wood board with our fists. Oh yeah! Breaking the boards was pretty cool. My girls, Frances and Olivia, did great on their belt tests as well and are now green belts. Also, Olivia broke a board with her fist and another with her foot.

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of working out, going to the gym, running, biking, swimming or anything that could be a considered a healthy activity. I've tried  a few things over the years hoping I'd like it or that I'd stick with it, and nothing ever stuck. But holy crap, here I am three months into Tae Kwon Do and I'm still going and I really like it. Travis and Jin Shil Martial Arts make all the difference, thank you! Thirteen belt tests to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment